For those of you who've seen my Instagram feed lately, I just finished my first ever seven-day detox after embarking on a life changing trip to Miami and a cruise through the Caribbean in February. After stuffing my face with loads of delicious food in an all-you-can-eat fashion, I decided to step up to the challenge of a detox in order to switch back to my healthy eating habits and start a clean slate for my body.
The word "detox" used to make me cringe. For a foodie that loves to eat almost anything and everything, a detox seems like a nightmare to take on. I used to think it's something crazy that I would never amount to doing, but after putting my body through loads of stress from travel and horrendous eating I realized I'm in dire need of it. After all, what do I have to lose other than stuff that goes out the other end?
So, here I am. Seven days later I'm revitalized, full of energy and feeling more alive than ever.
And here I'll share with you a few reasons why you should detox:
1. Remove toxins from your body
Our bodies don't function well when they're loaded with toxins. We've been long exposed to air pollutants, cancer-inducing chemicals, preservatives, heavy metals for years. These toxins are stored in cells and tissues throughout the body including the brain, affecting our behaviour and immune system. As a result we often experience joint pain, headaches, sleep problems, digestive issues, and lack of energy.
2. Lose weight and feel great
After seven days I lost 5 lbs, and I know individuals in my support group have achieved far greater results! Toxins alter your body's natural ability to burn fat, which leads to weight gain. This becomes a problem when weight issues are linked to diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. Detoxing clears your body of toxins stored in fat cells and boosts your metabolism.
3. Slow down signs of premature aging
If you're serious about avoiding adding years onto your body and mind, detoxing will get rid of free radicals and heavy metals that cause aging. It helps to increase your body's absorption of nutrients, including antioxidants and vitamins that help fight oxidative stress in your body.
4. Increase energy and improve quality of life
After detoxing, I started to sleep better and actually need less of it now. I also eliminated my caffeine intake because I wake up with more energy than before! Fortunately I can still enjoy decaf to soothe my java taste buds.
When our mental and emotional states are clear and grounded, we can make better decisions, analyze accurately, and see things differently. Memory and depression can also be improved as a result of detoxification. If you experience symptoms such as fatigue, headache, brain fog, digestive issues, and allergies, or you wake up feeling tired and lethargic, a detox can help you heal quickly. The energy that you get afterwards is pure and vital that rests within you, which is quite a difference from the energy you get from sugary drinks that leave you empty and tired.
5. Restore balance to our body's systems
What happens when our digestive, nervous, and hormonal systems work together? We get an optimally healthy body. But when we overload these systems with toxins and unhealthy foods, these systems don't function well and as a result we get sick.
Detoxing brings balance back and helps our systems function properly again. A good cleanse can kick-start healthy habits and get you started on the path of smarter choices and long-term health. Even after completing my detox, I felt inspired to carry on my healthy regimen instead of feeling the need to succumb to sugar and carb cravings.
After a couple of days I already noticed a boost in my energy levels, my skin became a lot smoother, I slept better, and best of all, I lost 5 pounds! I noticed I was significantly lighter and quicker while doing HIITs at the gym and even playing basketball.
Some tips to consider:
- Use friend power instead of willpower. Every "body" needs a "buddy", and it's easier to stay on track when you find a friend or gather a small group and do the detox together! This way you'll hold each other accountable and ensure the other person is doing it properly or doesn't go off track. It doesn't matter if you're a novice or an experienced detoxer. Ask help from others, and you shall receive.
- Eat low glycemic index foods consisting of vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Limit egg and protein intake. Eliminate processed foods, refined sugar, red meat, smoking, soft drinks, caffeine, alcohol, hydrogenated oil, and carbohydrates to get the best results.
- Drink LOTS of water. I'm talking 2-3 litres per day.
- A detox takes hard work, serious effort and dedication! When you're at a party and people are waving pizzas in front of your face, practice the power of saying no and your body will reward you for your resilience.
Big thanks to Nutriclean, my support group and my partner in crime for helping me with my detox. When you follow a system that works and do the best you can, you'll get the results you want to achieve.
If you're inspired to detox, get started with a NutriClean® 7-Day Kit here!
Disclaimer: Please consult your physician before considering trying a detox regimen, as results and reactions may vary per individual. This post is only intended to share an experience to increase awareness of a lifestyle change for the benefit of others. Any other specific questions related to the inherent effects of a detox should be discussed with your physician.
Cheers to a healthy you,